I have been itching to re-paint and redo our bathroom ever since painting our study gave such a good result. Unfortunately what with one thing and another (see: hospital, Denmark, wedding & dissertation) I just couldn’t do it. I didn’t have the time. Or rather, I had the time but it was already committed to other stuff. And also, we are renting this house so it won’t kill us to live with it for a while.
But, I handed in my dissertation on Friday* (*ahem. This post has been in my drafts folder for a while!) and I had a looooong weekend ahead of me where I needed to stay out of John’s hair (he was still writing up) and well…let’s just say I’ve got paint splatters in between my toes, there’s acrylic caulk under my nails and I’m grinning like a moron.
But before I get to the big reveal; here’s what it looked like before. The room is small, approx 3 x 3m (9.8 x 9.8ft). Everything in the room had to stay because I’m not paying to replace it. The wooden cabinets were varnished and in fairly good nick, but there was some water-damage which I ignored because I’m not going to be replacing the cabinets! At some point down the line they will need to be replaced though.
We keep various cleaning products and spare loo rolls under the sink. The tall built-in is our linen cupboard-come-medicine-cabinet. The while paint above the tile is new and in good condition, ditto the ceiling so that’s staying as is. The caulk around the bath though….shudder. Re-vol-ting. There were about 5 layers of silicon sealant and caulk, each with it’s own unique culture of black slimy mould. YUK. So ALL that came out!
The floor was painted red (?) and has been polished with that red floor polish (why? who knows) since forever. The polish isn’t absorbed because duh, the floor is painted and so it comes off on our feet and gets tracked into the bath whenever we take a shower. It’s also a bit of a shoddy job with splashes and brush strokes where they shouldn’t be! Drives me nuts! The dark red paint also makes the room feel dirty and dark.
The mirror and the shelf above the toilet have these weird little glass marbles glued onto them. Cute, but not my style.
There’s no shelving in the shower for toiletries and so everything either gets put on top of the cupboard or precariously balanced on a cheap shower caddy.
I wanted to try and go for a more modern, clean feel in there. I also needed to tie the cabinets and floor in with the exiting tile as we were not going to be stripping them off the walls to replace them. I also wanted pops of unexpected colour and more functionality.
Stay tuned for the ‘Afters’!